– Bajan currency is the Barbados Dollar (BDS). On the island two Barbadian Dollars are the equivalent of 1 US dollar. Current exchange rates for us are: £1 to 3.36 BDS, 10 Swedish Krona to 2.92 BDS and 1 NZ Dollar to 1.7 BDS.
– Plugs are American
– Barbados is five hours behind the UK, six hours behind Sweden and a whopping 16 hours behind New Zealand!
– The International Dialling Code is +1246
– Queues at the airport can be quite long, so please be prepared!
– The England cricket team will be on the island in May for the next test. Unfortunately, we couldn’t make the wedding last that long.
– Political, economic and social stability means Barbados has one of the highest standards of living in the developing world (so they tell us)
– It is illegal to wear any clothing with a camouflage pattern on it. Please don’t test this law!
– Hurricane season is June to November. In other words not February, touch wood!
– Taxis are plentiful and rates will be quoted in Barbados Dollars – check the price, then negotiate!
– If you have any more questions or want to find out some more information we recommend the Barbados Forum on tripadvisor